Serves: 2 people
- 400 g of haddock fillets
- 240 ml lager
- 200g plain flour
- 100ml soda water or sparkling water
- 75g cornflour
- To make the beer batter, sift the flour and cornflour into a bowl, add some seasoning. Make a well in the centre and add the lager and water, then gradually whisk into the flour mixture until you have achieved a smooth batter.
- Before use, the bowl of batter should be covered with clingfilm and transferred to a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, or longer if possible.
- Dust the fish portions in a light coating of flour and then dredge in the batter, shaking off any excess. Deep-fry in a deep fat fryer preheated to 180°C for about five minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Try to avoid the battered fish touching off each other in the fryer. If you are cooking larger pieces of fish, start cooking them in the fryer and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- Dry off the excess oil of the battered fillet when it is removed from the fryer.
Goes well with: with chips or wedges and your homemade tartar sauce